Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tu m’as manqué

I missed you.

Sweet sounding words that make you feel marvellous like no other three worded sentence can, maybe except ‘ I love you’ but that has become so common place, now every random affection felt towards another living creature is expressed in terms of love.

The privilege of being missed....

I haven’t come across much else that beats the gratifying sensation that floods every inch of your body when someone says they missed you. Getting good grades or being appreciated for something I wrote, yes. But being missed still stands a notch higher than the rest.
It makes having been away for all that time pining for familiar things and people, voices and smiles all that much more worth it. It fortifies the raw, sketchy hope I have in the human ability to connect, to value and to cherish. But most of all I love those three words when they are said to me because well..... It feels great to be loved and yeah, I am a narcissistic soul.

So I’d like to thank my mom, dad, grandmother and my three loving friends whose ebullient expressions of joy and beatific smiles on seeing me made my day. I’d like to thank my newfound friends I met at the summer school I attended for two weeks in Scotland for missing me. We bonded a lot more in those two weeks than I have been able to with some people I’ve known for over two years. Our differences in age (there were those in their 30’s and 40’s), nationalities, educational and cultural backgrounds never was an obstacle to forge what for the present looks like longstanding friendships. 
I’d like to specifically thank my cousin and his wife with whom I spent some time in London for missing me. I count those five days with them as one of the most memorable vacations I’ve taken and I can very confidently state that I haven’t met many people who have been so hospitable, welcoming, loving and free and yeah... who have in a just a span of spending five days in person with me and two weeks over the phone giving pep talks when I was in Scotland like me enough to miss me.
I also want to thank my professor for giving me a warm welcome on returning to class after a 3 week hiatus and also for being more interested in knowing if I had a good time instead of reminding me of the mountain sized heap of work that I have yet to catch up with.
Since I’ve spent most of this post rambling on about being missed I’d like to now mention what I missed the most.

I missed this blog of mine. I spent most of May and June preparing for the summer school and then the whole of July in UK. I’m really sorry for having neglected this one thing in the world that serves as the perfect outlet for my thoughts, ideas, opinions, feelings and other synonyms you can come up with. This is the only place that soothes my urge to write.

So during my 22 day stay in the UK, having the most marvellously unforgettable time of my life (apart from learning Modernism in English Literature) I’m glad I met people who believe that if you love someone or value something enough to miss it just spit it out because I haven’t yet developed the supernatural ability to look into someone and see what I mean to them. Those 3 simple words help me live every coming day to the fullest. And in this world that’s worth something. Trust me.

But I still don’t get why the French have to say 'you missed me' for 'I missed you' and then say what it actually means is 'you were missed by me'. It's another story that it sounds better the convoluted way.

Falak

13 comments:

  1. Hi falak!!...after a very long time!!
    I need to get updated on all the happenings at Scotland and London.
    Je t'aime!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. like! like! like! its amazing how u pick up such random topics n have something so beautiful to say about them. more importantly, it makes me think. in all my pessimism,at times, iv actually failed to see how fulfilling my life is just because of these three words said to me. keep up the posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shruti: Yes, a really lonnngggg time. Whenever the two of us are free you'll get a very in depth account of my trip. Merci beaucoup pour m'aimer. (Hope the grammar is fine. My French has become a little more than rusty in the last 5 months;) )

    Cheryl: Random people random posts, Cheri :)It's when I write these posts that I actually sit back and reflect on such serious and at times morbid topics.I guess sometimes in life certain experiences give you a whole new perspective on life. The UK trip was one such occasion. Thanks for all you encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry we missed the chance to meet up when you were in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim: I too am sorry about not being able to meet up :( But then again we got to chat over the phone which I'm sure would have been a distant possibility if I wouldn't have visited Scotland. So something good did come out of my trip.
    And moreover Scotland has so completely charmed and bewitched me I know for sure that I will visit the country at least once more although not any time soon. So until then :)

    If you ever plan to visit India do let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back honey!!!

    Well written post and well expressed too... One truly feels over the moon when you see the expression of your loved ones upon your return from a trip. This feeling of being missed and wanted makes the constant struggle to survive in this cut-throat world even more worthwhile.

    Glad to have you back and to read your post after a long hiatus. Please keep this going and share with us details of your UK trip.

    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Falak!!

    Nice to read your post after a long time!!! Just coz it feels nice to be missed doesnt mean you're narcissistic :P You're right, it does feel really good to hear that! Its also important to be thankful for all the people who truly care about you enough to miss you & through this blog i see that you are :D
    I know what it feels like to bond with some1 over a few weeks & feel as if you've known them for years! knowing that they feel the same way about you is a gr8 feeling :)

    N incase i hvnt told you yet, while you were in the U.K.. tu m'as manque ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh n im reallllyyyy sorry for posting a comment so late!!! But you know why i couldn't so i hope you forgive me :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lakshmi: Thanks a lot! I guess you've got to know pretty much all the details by now :)

    Bev: Awww.... That's so sweet! I'm forever thankful for all you guys :D And I completely understand why you couldn't comment... Like someone wisely said "Loser Malhar" :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Falak it truly is good to have you back! Sorry for taking so long to read your post...

    It was heart felt sweetheart... But like Shruti said... I still have yet to hear more!!!!

    Welcome back again! Love you so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We still miss u...can we adopt u:)))))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tu me manques trop sis!!


    GAYATHRI

    ReplyDelete
  13. Priya Chechi: :D You're most welcome to do that!

    Gayathri: Je aussi ma petite!

    ReplyDelete